Less Known Solaris features: Jumpstart Enterprise Toolkit - Part 6: Prerequisites
Okay, before working with the Jumpstart Enterprise Toolkit we have to prepare some stuff. We need systems, a network (as fast as possible to reduce installation time, but even 10 MBit/s would suffice), operating system ISOs etc.
Okay … We need several systems for this test. I´ve used Virtualbox in the preparation of this tutorial. You can use other virtualisation software, but one thing is important: It must support PXE boot of the guests.
I´ve populated my
/etc/hosts with the following hostnames. In the case you wonder about the hostnames, these names are characters from Ghost in a Shell. And just in case you search for kusanagi … this is the name for the system hosting the virtual machines:
In my tutorial
aramaki will serve as the Jumpstart server,
ishikawa are the installation targets.
Packages and ISOs
For this tutorial i´ve used the following packages and ISOs:
- Solaris 10 Update 5: This is the operating environment i will use to demonstrate automated patching
- Opensolaris Community Edition Build 87:
aramakiruns with this operating environment and it´s no problem to jumpstart Opensolaris CE oder DE with JET or to use Opensolaris for the Jumpstart Server
- Recommended Patch ClusterTo demonstrate automated patching, i´ve used the recommended patch cluster. You can gather it at sunsolve.sun.com.
- SUNWjet:The Jumpstart Enterprise Toolkit. You can gather it at here
- SUNWjass The Solaris Security Toolkit. You can get it at here